Skins is a British TV show about a group of friends, all students in Bristol. It's quite different from what already exists on the life of adolescents/adultescents because:
- It's British, so the accent is adorable, the phrases are different (bummer!) and everything in the show reminds me of the 3 months I spent in Northampton in a summer internship in 2006.
- It's British, so there's no so-called puritanism and censoring. It's not bright and shiny, but more dark and twisty material, with drugs, sex, real and credible trouble.
- It's British, so the characters are not supermodels but normal people.
- It's British, so the characters look their age and the actors are their characters' age.
- It's British, so the music is good.
In short, it screams authenticity. And I love that.
I also love Skins because:
- Hello, "About a Boy" boy, a.k.a. Nicholas Hoult...! I just can't help thiking of the "I think I killed a duck" moment in the movie when I see his face. What a cute young man he's become, by the way.
- Hello, "Slumdog Millionaire" slumdog, a.k.a. Dev Patel.
- The theme is excellent.
I've just finished the 1st season, out of 3 at present. Unfortunately it's a 9-episode per season format. But it's totally worth it!